Regional Coordinator and Program Manager
Canadian Wood Fibre Centre
5320 122 Street Northwest
Edmonton, Alberta, T6H 3S5
Tel.: (780) 435-7355
Derek has thirty-five years of experience in forest silviculture and afforestation operational development, applied research and technology transfer in Boreal Plains and Boreal Shield ecoregions of Canada. He is responsible for innovative forest management and afforestation applications design, assessment, and introduction into operational systems.
Derek also has extensive experience in pilot scale application development and scale up of woody biomass for energy opportunities through natural systems or purpose grown afforestation. Presently, he focuses primarily in the optimization of the supply-chain from woody feedstock to final product value. Derek is responsible for the design development and introduction of innovative short-rotation woody crop management regimes for use in Canada, advanced harvesting systems to maximize recovery, value and sustainability in natural forests, and a comprehensive distribution of practices technical development sites across Canada in collaboration with Universities, Provincial Governments and Forest Companies.
Current research projects
- National short-rotation Woody Crop Systems Development
- Regional Boreal Plains Mixedwood Fibre Initiative
- Diploma in Forest Technology, Lakehead University, Thunder Bay, ON, 1977
- Certificate, (Fundamentals of Machine Design), University of Toronto, Toronto, ON, 1984
- CIF, Rocky Mountain Section.
- ecoEnergy Innovation Initiative
- Program for Energy Research and Development
- Canadian Biomass Innovation Network
- Date modified: